Social Justice Program
At the start of each year, students and teachers are asked to consider being part of the Social Justice Focus Groups.
These groups visit the different organisations in our town of Roma, where there is need, such as:
- Pinaroo – a Retirement Village with provision for low care facilities,
- Learning and Lifestyle – Endeavour Foundation,
- Westhaven – Queensland Health Aged Care Facility, high-care and dementia units,
- St Vincent de Vincentian Village – Aged Single Men’s Accommodation,
- Afternoon Tea – Afternoon tea for the older members of our parish held at St John’s School.
The Focus Groups are generally made up of one or two teachers and several students who visit the different organisations either weekly or fortnightly after school on Wednesday or on Thursday mornings.
Students talk and interact with the residents of these organisations through sharing an afternoon tea together, cooking a breakfast or playing games. These occasions give the students the opportunity to feel connected to the mission of the Church and the elderly a chance to interact with the young people in their community.
Being of service to others in need in the community is one of the most valuable learning experiences that any young person can have during their time at school